stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

Stephane Marchesin marchesin at icps.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Jan 24 05:26:22 PST 2008

On 1/24/08, Jerome Glisse <glisse at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> This API things is also a reason which support my thinking that
> kernel modesetting, ie having driver in kernel side, is what we
> should do. We would expose a stable API but we are free to change
> code inside kernel.
>
> Note that the fact that we had drm, ddx, dri layer impair
> development as this require you to be extra cautious about note
> breaking relation between them thus making any fundamental
> change harder. Killing the ddx layer will help, this is my feeling.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that issue too, and I was wondering if
it would make sense to ship full drivers (i.e. DRM+DDX+DRI) together
instead of having to ensure 3-way compatibility between those modules.
The binary drivers do it, and no one complains to them (well not for
this reason at least). Actually, this lets them ensure that users
always have all the latest bits. I find it pretty weird that in an
open source world, the binary drivers have an edge as far as
distribution is concerned...

Stephane