xf86-video-intel problem

Gergely Gábor elentirmo.gilgalad at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 10:37:53 PST 2008

Hello!

I have an IBM Thinkpad R50e computer, that runs gentoo linux, and sleeping (and wakingup succesfully) is only possible with xf86-video-i810 version 1.6.5, as I get i830_wait_lp_ring (or similiarly named) errors quite rarely (i think this has to do something with newer kernels, as with older ones i got them occasionally even with this driver) _AND_ this is the only version hat can make my screens wake up successfully.

to be able to do this, i have to do some hacks: save the video bios to a tempfile, and use the VbeRestore option int he driver field of xorg.conf.

I have tried the git head version of the intel driver yesterday, and it did wake up after acpi s3 sleep, even without the bios saving/restoring hack, but the screen go messed up, artifacts didn't disappear and so on. What should I do, to help you remove this bug? I'd really like to update to to the new intel driver, as i'd like to hold some presentations, and the current i810switch stuff doesn't always work well, XRandr would be better I think.

Thanks for the answer in advance, and best regards:

--
Gergely Gábor <elentirmo.gilgalad at gmail.com>

* random fortune:
There's no time like the pleasant.