FOSDEM 2008: update.

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Tue Jan 22 06:14:47 PST 2008

Hi,

As was announced several months ago already, we have a Developers room
at FOSDEM again this year.

FOSDEM, (for those of you who still do not know it :p) is the Free and
Open Source Developers European Meeting. It is one of the biggest
general free software meetings in europe. Each year for the past 8 or
so, it has taken place in Brussels, Belgium, at a Campus of the
Universite Libre.

This year the event takes place on Saturday 23rd and sunday 24th of
February.

The fosdem event is completely free, you require no registration, you
can just walk in and out when you want. When you come to fosdem, all you
need to take care of is yourself; food, travel, lodgings. But that's it
:)

Since there was little enthusiasm for another HotHouse before this
event, and because such a hothouse incurs a rather large organisational
burden, it has been decided to not organise one this year.

So FOSDEM, for X, this year will comprise of 11 talks, one social event
on saturday, and casual meetings (supper and whatnot) on friday and
sunday evening.

The current speakers for our devroom are:

# Bart Massey - Images and the State of XCB.
# Jerome Glisse - Radeon, from DRM to Gallium.
# Stephane Marchesin - Cooking with nouveau.
# John Bridgman - Open sourcing ATI.
# Egbert Eich - The RadeonHD project.
# Remi Cardona - Bringing Metisse and X.org together.
# Keith Packard - Pain and redemption in X driver development.
# Keith Whitwell - Update on Gallium3D.
# Michael Meeuwisse - Project VGA.

This means that 9 out of 11 available talk slots are already taken, and
as you can see, they're quite well worth travelling across the european
continent (or further) for :)

For the two still empty slots, for prospective speakers, please mail me
ASAP, with a title and a short abstract. I know it is still more than a
month, and that the final talk might not have that much to do with the
information handed over here, but i still do need this information :)

The actual shedule is not fixed yet, so if speakers like their slot at a
given time, for valid reasons (jetlag?), please tell me asap as well.

I will have to hand in the final shedule next thursday, so this is where
the shedule should be fixed, and if the two remaining holes in the
shedule are not filled up, no casual FOSDEM visitors will come and visit
your talk. So speaker, send in talk proposals ASAP :)

For the latest information about X at FOSDEM: please visit
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/fosdem2008

More details will be announced when known, but for now, know that the
dates are fixed, and that there will be no hothouse. So please already
look into travel and lodgings, it often is cheaper to book early.

Thanks,

Luc Verhaegen.
SUSE/Novell X Driver Developer.