modular -> monolithic

KAMALNEET SINGH kamalneet.s at samsung.com
Mon Jan 21 19:29:42 PST 2008

 David Miller wrote:
> From: Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net>
> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:14:27 -0800
>
>> Some portions of the tree, sure, using the rough criteria of hardware
>> that we can't find any instances of and therefore can't test.
>
> You don't need access to the hardware to build the driver source.
>
> Issues like testability and what drivers to mark as "deprecated"
> or whatever are secondary to making sure the build works.

In my opinion, if you cannot be confident that the driver actually runs
properly after the change, it is of little use to make it build. Making
it build may make it easier for someone else to fix it later. But for
others, it is much more frustrating to find that something doesn't run
when you expect it to. It is less frustrating to find that the driver
doesn't build, it is clear that it is not tested with the current X
code.

~ kammal