modular -> monolithic

Igor Mozolevsky igor at hybrid-lab.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 04:55:32 PST 2008

On 21/01/2008, David Miller <davem at davemloft.net> wrote:

> New contributor follows instructions, uses build.sh script, after a
> full day of building on his slow computer the build fails in the
> middle in a mysterious way.

I don't know why you say it would fail in a mysterious way... Could
this be that build.sh doesn't produce useful output to track the
problem? My own build script, which was a total rewrite of build.sh
prints "Building <package-name>, configuring, making, installing..."
at every stage and produces a <package-name>.log for every package
that it builds; when things go pear-shaped it's astonishingly easy to
find what didn't work and figure out how to fix it... So please don't
say that shortcomings of build.sh would be mitigated by moving drivers
back into x-server, and if anything, having one driver fail would
imply you don't get x-server at all!

Igor :-/