modular -> monolithic

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Mon Jan 21 03:10:27 PST 2008

From: Michel Dänzer <michel at tungstengraphics.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:03:42 +0100

> 'Significant parts of the tree' meaning unmaintained drivers? I'm not
> sure I see how that keeps anyone from contributing.

New contributor asks "How do I build the Xorg tree from GIT?"

New contributor finds modular build instructions on the wiki.

New contributor checks out all GIT trees using up all of his bandwidth
for an hour or so.

New contributor follows instructions, uses build.sh script, after a
full day of building on his slow computer the build fails in the
middle in a mysterious way.

"Ivory tower" Xorg developers are annoyed that yet another stupid
question is asked on the xorg lists about a build.sh build failure.

> > Several drivers were build failing for more than a year.
>
> That indicates little interest in those drivers. Did you actually
> need them?

You totally miss the point.

If you think it's OK to leave drivers unbuildable for more than a
year, that's a serious problem.