modular -> monolithic

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Sun Jan 20 20:25:49 PST 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 12:30:45PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> I pointed out to you earlier why this argument doesn't make sense, the
> kernel hasn't always had the number of full-timers it does now and
> still used the same model and it also has possibly 100x the number of
> drivers we have.. so I can't say this argument makes any sense..

The argument never made any sense at all.  Linux has far more drivers
per developer than the X driver. There's slightly more than 50
xf86-video- driver and less than 30 xf86-input drivers.  Updating
interface for either all input or vidoe drivers should be a matter of
a handfull of hours which can be expected from part-time contributors
(which btw are the majority in the Linux kernel development aswell)