stripping off "xf86-*-" from drivers

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Sun Jan 20 02:26:21 PST 2008

From: Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 22:52:19 -0800

> Dave Airlie wrote:
> > Granted I'd be happy to move all the open source drivers back into the
> > server build and get rid of whole idea of a stable ABI between
> > releases...
>
> But then you'ld have to get all the driver maintainers to meet the
> release cycles of the X server, instead of letting Intel release
> quarterly, while ATI does developer snapshots for a year between
> stable releases.

Even so, I really like Dave's idea.

It's just a mess currently.  Look at the Xserver SELINUX changes from
the other week.  The GC private et al. bits broke several drivers
including those I care about (mainly sparc ones).

The input driver breakage that was measured in years would never have
happened if all the drivers were in the tree and typing "make" would
show everything that breaks from an API change.

There is nothing that keeps drivers building when people make X server
API changes, nothing.

So what happens?  Shit breaks all the time, there are countless
examples and it nearly happens on a weekly basis if not more often.

It's a huge quality control issue.

It would be one thing if people were diligent and validated the
build of all the drivers, but people who have write access to
the X server and driver sources have demonstrated over and over
that they absolutely lack this level of care.

This did not happen on this level beforehand.

Want to know what the biggest joke is?  Those build directions
published on the web and the build.sh script in the tree.  You
know why?  Because the tree is never in a state where everything
actually builds!