New guy with Intel 965 issues

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Fri Jan 18 09:02:08 PST 2008

On Thursday, January 17, 2008 7:26 pm Matt Bailey wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2008 21:07, Jesse Barnes set 1,000 monkies in front
> of keyboards and the following appeared:
> <snip>
>
> > > The only weirdness I can see is a bunch of messages from the i915
> > > module in dmesg, they all start with "Unknown symbol:" and then list
> > > things like "drm_open", "drm_release", "drm_pci_free", etc.
> > >
> > > Any ideas? FWIW, my Xorg server version is 1.3.0.0.
> >
> > Weird.  Normally those messages would mean that the i915 driver didn't
> > load, but you say lsmod show it?  Seeing your dmesg, lsmod, and X log
> > files might narrow things down.
> >
> > Jesse
>
> Hi Jesse, thanks for the reply. Hmm well now my i915 module seems to be
> though it's loaded (normal?). Something I just noticed in my X log, DRI is
> trying to open a device in /dev/dri, but I don't have anything at all in
> /dev/dri (and this is while X is running)......anyway, here ya go:
>
> http://theplaceofcoolness.com/xorg_diag/dmesg.txt

Yeah, this doesn't have an i915 line, which should be something like:
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20060119 on minor 0
so that's one problem.  Looks like you're running 2.6.21ish, that may not have
the PCI IDs for the 965 chip you have.

> http://theplaceofcoolness.com/xorg_diag/lsmod.txt
> http://theplaceofcoolness.com/xorg_diag/Xorg.0.log

And this can't find your /dev/dri/card0 as you said.

You could try DRM from git, which should bind to your device, or a more recent
kernel.

Jesse