Want to test xvmc branch of intel - need help!

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 17 19:32:32 PST 2008

Edward Hughes wrote:

 >Thanks everyone for the info  :)

 >Looks like I've got some work ahead of me.  I think I might set up
 >another small partition just for this testing.

 >On the topic of current XvMC chipset support, then it is true (as the
 >man pages state) that while most of the Intel chipsets support some
 >type of Motion Compensation, XvMC is only implemented on the i810 and
 >i815 (and some more recent chipsets when using this experimental
 >driver)?  As I said before I want to clarify this on the MythTV Wiki.

You do not need another partition, just some spare disk space and follow
the wiki. So long as you set the configure prefix outside the usual
space, it will not affect the running side. Then, as was pointed out in
a recent message, you can adjust your paths, to point to the new
version, and Ctrl-Alt-Backspace...

Regarding xvmc, you are correct. At present, nothing above the i815 has
XvMC working *at present*. The intel man page is technically correct in
the way it is written but is open to being misconstrued, as it does not
explicitly state that limitation. I pointed this out and the man page is
supposed to be updated at some point to be more explicit.

In the meantime, Zhenyu Wang has been working on the xvmc branch,
attempting to get xvmc working on the newer chipsets. If only I could
find the time to track down and kill what's breaking my compilation
efforts, and get to test the branch! (Something obscure in xserver: it
worked before, and now does not!)
Geoff