Want to test xvmc branch of intel - need help!

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jan 16 15:35:04 PST 2008

 > Greetings!  I've been "listening" to the list for a little while now,
 > > but this is my first post.
 > >
 > > I have a Macbook Gen 2/B (it was purchased early 2007) that has the
 > > Intel 945GM chipset which uses the GMA 950 graphics adapter.

I would say that you only want to replace the intel video driver.
Zhenyu said it should work with the Xorg-7.3 stack. So, I have no idea
what's in Kubuntu 7.10, but you can just give it a shot. Install all
the devel type packages for Xorg. Go to the xf86-video-intel repo you
checked out. `git checkout origin/xvmc' and build away.

If you don't want to alter the Ubuntu files at all, you can probably
use --prefix=/usr/local. Then make sure that the linker and Xorg will
use the paths there first. I.e., put /usr/local/lib first in
/etc/ld.so.conf and add a ModulePath "/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules" in
the Files section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. See xorg.conf(5).

That should be it. Read /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if the new paths
are picked up. You can try to use the lsof command to see if the new
libraries are in use, too. `lsof
/usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so' should show Xorg.

****************************
I've been playing with this too. You will need to have your Xorg server
at the 1.4 level for a driver compliled from git to work (been there).
If your x server is at the wrong level, you get a 'module mismatch'
error on screen and in Xorg.0.log. In that case you will have to build
the entire tree. The build script does most of the work but it does take
a while. You can speed things up by removing all of the unwanted
xf86-input-xxx and xf86-video-xx folders and some of the /doc/sgml
folders. And you *do* need the xorg-devel packages.

Still trying....

Geoff