Mouse or keyboard lockup under kdesktop

michael cs at networkingnewsletter.org.uk
Wed Jan 9 05:35:40 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 13:22 +0000, Hutton, Keith wrote:
> Hi all,
> Does any one know how to recover from mouse or keyboard lockup. The mouse
> pointer still moves but that's all it does. I have seen this on various
> hardware and many different linux versions.
> Happens about once or twice per month. Can I reset them via remote login?
> Sometimes swapping usb port helps but not always.

see my recent posts where I had something not dissimilar when I
over-clocked my AMD64 chip.

to recover mouse, do ALT-TAB (to 'nothing' window) then ALT-TAB again
(back to required window)

for keyboard I found that CNTL-ALT-F1 would sometimes still work so
could switch to TTY. could also ssh in from another box. if required did
a /etc/init.d/gdm restart (couldn't find anything beneath that fixed it)

--
Michael Bane
Centre for Atmospheric Science