XV on Intel i810

James A R Brown jarb1 at uk2.net
Mon Jan 7 05:07:38 PST 2008

Hi, I have spent hours trying to sort this one, asked in forums
(Fedora8) for my distro and no luck. So I have come back to the start ;)

I am trying to get xv working on a Dell Dimension 2400, it has a single
std monitor outlet and no AGP on the main board (although there are what
looks like a space and solder points on the mainboard where you would
expect the AGP)

mplayer -vo x11 film.mpg works fine, but the CPU (2.6GHZ Celron) can't
keep up on this if other tasks are running.

mplayer -vo xv film.mpg does not work, it brings up the blue screen, but
running gxvattr or xvattr you can mess around and change the blue, so my
feeling is that xv is working, but the pipe is not coming through.

I have tried manually setting the pipe via xvattr -a XV_PIPE -v 0. This
makes no difference. At present it is back to -1 which I understand is
automatic.

xvattr -a XV_PIPE -v 1 will not work, it just defaults back to -1.

Memory is 1gb and have allocated 256mb of this to video in bios.

The options in xorg.conf shown are stuff I tried from Mythtv
suggestions.

I have also tried with the "intel" driver in Fedora settings, no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions on howto debug / resolve this?

Thanks

James

        # xvinfo

        X-Video Extension version 2.2
        screen #0
          Adaptor #0: "Intel(R) Video Overlay"
            number of ports: 1
            port base: 73
            operations supported: PutImage
            supported visuals:
              depth 24, visualID 0x23
              depth 24, visualID 0x24
              depth 24, visualID 0x25
              depth 24, visualID 0x26
              depth 24, visualID 0x27
              depth 24, visualID 0x28
              depth 24, visualID 0x29
              depth 24, visualID 0x2a
            number of attributes: 6
              "XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 16777215)
                      client settable attribute
                      client gettable attribute (current value is 66046)
              "XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -128 to 127)
                      client settable attribute
                      client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
              "XV_CONTRAST" (range 0 to 255)
                      client settable attribute
                      client gettable attribute (current value is 64)
              "XV_SATURATION" (range 0 to 1023)
                      client settable attribute
                      client gettable attribute (current value is 128)
              "XV_DOUBLE_BUFFER" (range 0 to 1)
                      client settable attribute
                      client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
              "XV_PIPE" (range -1 to 1)
                      client settable attribute
                      client gettable attribute (current value is -1)
            maximum XvImage size: 1024 x 1088
            Number of image formats: 4
              id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
                guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
                bits per pixel: 16
                number of planes: 1
                type: YUV (packed)
              id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
                guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
                bits per pixel: 12
                number of planes: 3
                type: YUV (planar)
              id: 0x30323449 (I420)
                guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
                bits per pixel: 12
                number of planes: 3
                type: YUV (planar)
              id: 0x59565955 (UYVY)
                guid: 55595659-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
                bits per pixel: 16
                number of planes: 1
                type: YUV (packed)

        # Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

        Section "ServerLayout"
                Identifier     "single head configuration"
                Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"
                Identifier  "Keyboard0"