Xorg 7.4 release plan

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Wed Feb 27 10:57:43 PST 2008

Adam Jackson wrote:
> D'oh.  All that and I forgot to footnote the original release plan.
>
> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/Events/XDS2007/Notes#head-b9d08a222aa3b93e0281b3e2fac0d27dafeb3b2a
>
> I should make a note here of what we had initially targetted for 7.4,
> and what I think the current status of each is.  So.

> is in.  XKB 2 isn't.  Enforcing server ABI with linker scripts (the
> cryptically named "_X_EXPORT" in that list) isn't done but is pretty
> straightforward; I'd happily take a patch if one showed up, otherwise
> I'll see if I can work it in.  The DRI memory manager work and GLX 1.4

  I already posted patches here at xorg@ for full compile with hidden
symbols,
and several analysis of symbols, i.e. things like symbols that are
exported but
not defined in the sdk, symbols that are exported but not used by any
compilable
module, etc. There is also a set of scripts I wrote, and posted here, that
simulates loading of shared libraries, etc, and will print information about
symbols not found, symbol clashes, where a symbol was found, etc.

  Anyway, on a "conservative" view, everything that is defined in the sdk
should also be ensured that is of public visibility (but such extra patch is
quite easy to do).

  Mandriva cooker users used server (1.4) and modules compiled with hidden
symbols by default for almost 2 months, but I reverted all of that
because it
is not in upstream, and my fellow french coworkers did not like the large
amount of patches that don't provide any "visible" (no pun intended)
functionality...

  BTW, I also asked for commit rights some time ago so I could do it myself,
(and you reopened it from RESOLVED LATER) but would still prefer some review
before applying such large patches.

> - ajax
Paulo