Xorg 7.4 release plan

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 10:53:34 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 14:06 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> Right, we've been slackers for a bit here, it's time to ship something
> that works.  My motives are not entirely altruistic here, I really want
> something that isn't a git snapshot in Fedora 9, but we're way past the
> initially projected release date by now [1], so it's time to shape up
> anyway.

D'oh.  All that and I forgot to footnote the original release plan.

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/Events/XDS2007/Notes#head-b9d08a222aa3b93e0281b3e2fac0d27dafeb3b2a

I should make a note here of what we had initially targetted for 7.4,
and what I think the current status of each is.  So.

XGE probably not going to make it, Peter's schedule isn't particularly
friendly and iirc we didn't think it was ready at LCA.  XACE is merged
and pretty well ingrained by this point; the subsequent X-SELinux
extension looks like it's making good progress (thanks Eamon!).  RANDR
1.3 ain't happening.  Input transformation ain't happening.  pciaccess
is in.  XKB 2 isn't.  Enforcing server ABI with linker scripts (the
cryptically named "_X_EXPORT" in that list) isn't done but is pretty
straightforward; I'd happily take a patch if one showed up, otherwise
I'll see if I can work it in.  The DRI memory manager work and GLX 1.4
are more or less in, afaik, and we'll just have to figure out a Mesa
build solution to make them happen.  Glucose ain't happening.

So, ten things targetted, four included, one probable.  50% feature
completion per release seems to be about par for the course for us, no?

- ajax