Suggestions for properly abstracting multiple screens.

Tiago Vignatti vignatti at c3sl.ufpr.br
Fri Feb 22 09:55:21 PST 2008

JoJo jojo escreveu:
> Hi Tiago
>
> what is the status of your XAT project, what issues are you facing currently ?

The initial goal of XAT was to deploy several displays (not in the means
of monitors but how Xorg abstracts this) per X server. This could be
used for instance to deploy a multiseat system. We decide to frozen the
project given that Xorg community thinks that is more sane to start
several instances of Xorg.

However if you want to start several instances of Xorg in todays
upstream branch you will face some problems due to VGA legacy interface.
Some video cards know how to deal with this and some not. So we are
developing some scheme [0] to fix this all.

Thanks,

[0] http://www.x.org/wiki/VgaArbiter
     BTW, yesterday I did a post entry concerning the performance. See
it here: http://vignatti.wordpress.com/2008/02/21/benchmarking-it-all/

--
Tiago Vignatti
C3SL - Centro de Computação Científica e Software Livre