GPL3 Re: packaging

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 13 15:11:15 PST 2008

It has *nothing* to do with the version of tar affecting the licensing.

The X package that I downloaded just revealed a bug in gnutar (GPLV2)
that is fixed in gnutar (GPLV3), but we can't trivially update to the
new gnutar to address this bug because of the license issue, nor can
we even look at the code changes... so we need to fix the bug in the
GPLV2 version.  I was just asking what version of tar was used to
create the tarball, so I could reproduce the bug without relying on
outside tarballs.

Nothing to see here.  No license flame wars to partake in.  Please
just go back to your normal routine.

--Jeremy