GPL3 Re: packaging

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Feb 13 11:25:40 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 11:22:09AM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Sergio Monteiro Basto wrote:
> >> GPLv3 consideration is mainly only useful for projects that already
> >> use GPL(v2). As X.org is MIT-licensed, like already stated, there's
> >> nothing to discuss.
> >
> > yap sorry , for dummy question.
> >
> > but still not understand why can't use gnutar in GPLv3 ?
>
> Sounds like a problem with the license restrictions of their OS/distro.
> X.Org doesn't object to using GPLv3'd versions of gnutar, but each OS/distro
> creator has to decide for themselves to accept the GPLv3 terms if they
> want to include software covering it - that's their problem, not ours.

I may have fallen off on a curve, here, but if the issue is "does using
a GPLd tar utility to package our non-GPL package have any effect at
all on its licensing?", I'm pretty sure the answer is "no".  I'm sure
you knew that, Alan, but I don't know whether the OP gets it or not.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)