packaging

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Tue Feb 12 21:18:05 PST 2008

I'm trying to track down a bug in tar.  Could someone provide me with
any information about the version of tar used to 'make dist'
libXmu-1.0.4.tar.bz2?  It's not specific to libXmu... I'm seeing this
issue with many recent tarballs from x.org:

$ bunzip2 -dc libXmu-1.0.4.tar.bz2 | tar -xf -
tar: Read 1536 bytes from -

'tar -xjf libXmu-1.0.4.tar.bz2' works fine.  Repackaging it seems to
work as well.  Using a newer version of tar to extract it works,
too... unfortunately due to licensing issues, updating to a GPL3
version of gnutar to fix the problem is not possible... so I just want
to figure out how the tarball was made in an attempt to figure out a
fix.

Thanks,
Jeremy