Cloned Screens with different aspect ratios

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Thu Feb 7 09:25:39 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:21:02AM -0600, Dan Farrell wrote:
> I am trying to configure a laptop with 2 screens which display the same
> image.  One runs at 1280x800, the other at 1280x1024.
>
> Is it possible to configure X so that the top 800 pixels of the large
> display clones the smaller, widescreen display?

Talking about intel video: yes; that's exactly what you get if you ask
for clone mode.  As far as I know, it's impossible to ask the driver to
scale one of the outputs so you'd get the same picture on both screens.

> Is it possible that I might be able to use the remaining 224 pixels at
> the bottom for a seperate X display?

I doubt it.  But you get a 1280x1024 desktop and you can position a
window in the bottommost 224 pixels, and that window will not be visible
on the smaller 1280x800 screen.

Marius Gedminas
--
If you are smart enough to know that you're not smart enough to be an
Engineer, then you're in Business.