Cloned Screens with different aspect ratios

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 09:11:53 PST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 11:21 AM, Dan Farrell <dan at spore.ath.cx> wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I am trying to configure a laptop with 2 screens which display the same
> image.  One runs at 1280x800, the other at 1280x1024.
>
> Is it possible to configure X so that the top 800 pixels of the large
> display clones the smaller, widescreen display?

This should work fine with any xrandr 1.2 capable driver.  you will
have a 1280x1024 desktop with one "head" scanning out the whole thing
(1280x1024) and the other one scanning out a subset (1280x800).

> Is it possible that I might be able to use the remaining 224 pixels at
> the bottom for a seperate X display?

I don't understand what you are asking.  The lower region will be part
of the larger 1280x1024 "head."

Alex