Profiling redraws with Xorg 1.5.99.3

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 26 09:55:59 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-26 at 17:48 +0100, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> > Could be. Shame the new optimised implementation of the private lookup
> > had to be reverted on the 1.5 branch.
> Its not shame, its just that ABI changes don't fit in minor releases.
>
> > I'm running 1.5.99, and it would appear that the patch is applied. It is
> > a shame dixLookupPrivate is consuming so many cycles still.
> I doubt the new implementation could consume 13% of total cycles.
> Its _very_ quick and should consume only a few cycles.
>
> > The patch for the performance issue is not applied on the server I'm
> > using, so I'll try applying that and rebuilding. Thanks for the pointer!
> Could be. When have you pulled your version?

> I thought the patch was applied to 1.6 quite a while ago.

The other patch which is in that bug (marked as FIXED) is
not applied to either 1.6, or the git master. Only the patch for
dixLookupPrivate is.

Even with both patches applied, dixLookupPrivate takes 10% of system
time in my rendering test with cairo.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,