2D antialiasing?

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Thu Dec 11 06:03:08 PST 2008

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:23:02 -0000, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Programs which perform anti-aliasing will either be using XRender (or
> maybe OpenGL), or rendering client-side and blitting the end result.

Various facilities in Libxft (which it built atop XRender) will do
antialiasing, but when used in unintelligent ways can consume vast CPU
resources.

See my recent post with "Subject: LibXft : xftglyphcore woes" (which noone
has seen fit to reply to yet :-( ) for how it can go wrong.

 From the plain X Server POV, antialiasing is always going to be hard,
because to do it you need to know the background color or pixmap, and the
Xserver does not keep track of how you had earlier set it, so it is up to
individual toolkits to keep track, and not all of them do.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl at clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.