x4500 friendly distro?

Tomasz Torcz zdzichu at irc.pl
Wed Dec 3 00:09:53 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 11:15:54PM +0100, Khashayar Naderehvandi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've just ordered a laptop that comes with the latest from intel. It's
> an ASUS N20A, based on the montevina platform, all intel. The laptop
> seems to be too new for there to be any linux guides on it, so I guess
> I'll do my share of guide writing when I get it working alright.
>
> Now, the question is this: Which distro should I install on this
> machine to have the best out-of-the-box intel experience. I normally
> use Ubuntu, but I see the latest release only comes with the 2.4.1
> version of the intel driver, and there's a bunch of bug reports
> claiming really poor performance. Would I have better luck with Fedora
> 10? Or OpenSuse 11.1? Or anything else?

  I had problems with G45 too, but they were fixed during last Fedora
Rawhide cycle and Fedora 10 works OK. Not perfect yet -- activating
Compiz brings X into infinite loop after few minutes. Metacity
compositor seems to work OK.

  With Fedora you get additional benefit of tracking latest version of
DRM/DRI and other important stuff.

--
Tomasz Torcz                        To co nierealne -- tutaj jest normalne.
zdzichu at irc.-nie.spam-.pl          Ziomale na życie mają tu patenty specjalne.