Status of Intel Xvmc support?

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 08:09:42 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 10:24 -0500, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>> Looking through the archives, I have not seen any progress on Xvmc
>> support in the Intel driver for quite some time.
>>
>> Could someone please summarize where Xvmc support is at for the
>> various Intel devices (g33/g35/g45 etc)?
>
> XvMC support for G965/GM965/G45/GM45 was merged to master a few days
> ago.
>
>> Is there any work ongoing in this area?  In particular, is there any
>> hope of getting 720/1080 playback support?  I know that Intel has
>> expressed support for its new VA API which supports newer formats, but
>> there is still considerable value in MPEG2 playback via Xvmc due to
>> the increasing popularity of ATSC.
>
> The hard work turns out to be building the codecs, which should work
> with either API, so XvMC will remain supported for MPEG2 at least.

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your quick response.

Glad to hear the XvMC support for the newer chipsets was merged.  I am
grateful as I have been hoping to see this for quite a while.

Could you offer any insight regarding the state of support for MPEG2
acceleration for video with resolutions greater than 720x576?  Am I
correct that this is the current maximum resolution supported?

There is certainly value to the VA API in particular for h.264 and
VC-1 because of Blueray support, but with ATSC the standard is HD
MPEG2, which doesn't have the dependency on applications supporting
the VA API.

Regards,

Devin

--