[newb] Will xorg still allow non-hal config?

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Mon Dec 1 06:52:35 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 12:59 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > The result is that since there is no single shared layout X and the
> > kernel use, no layout info is exposed by the kernel infrastructure.
> > (and from a functional point of view there is no reason a key should
> > have a different behaviour in X and the console).
>
> So load the correct keyboard tables. The kernel is not and never has been
> a keyboard layout manager. That is a policy item, and the fact you may
> want differing behaviour and policy for different systems means it needs
> to stay so.

I don't think it does. Last time I tried, plugging both an azerty and a
qwerty keyboard resulted in only one of them having the correct layout.
Maybe something in evdev should somehow translate layouts before mixing
events together. Or tag keys with a kind of keyboard-dependant cookie to
make sense of them afterwards (I thnk there's an ID in the USB protocol
for the keyboard layout, but it's not used right now).

	Xav