[newb] Will xorg still allow non-hal config?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Dec 1 04:59:06 PST 2008

> The result is that since there is no single shared layout X and the
> kernel use, no layout info is exposed by the kernel infrastructure.
> (and from a functional point of view there is no reason a key should
> have a different behaviour in X and the console).

So load the correct keyboard tables. The kernel is not and never has been
a keyboard layout manager. That is a policy item, and the fact you may
want differing behaviour and policy for different systems means it needs
to stay so.

> BTW now that almost all the X userspace has been converted to use
> fontconfig and modern TrueType/OpenType fonts, I expect the level of
> attention fonts in legacy bitmap format receive to drop sharply, which
> will ultimately lead to problems kernel console-side.

The bitmap fonts don't change so this sounds like complete garbage. Even
if you want a new bitmap font from a monospace truetype one the
complexity of rendering a bitmap font data set is mindnumbing low,
trivial and automatable.