Getting widescreen resolution on my widescreen LCD tv

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 02:20:01 PDT 2008

2008/4/17, Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net>:

> On 2008/04/16 21:30 (GMT) Beso apparently typed:
>

> > this (live cds) won't work since he needs the nvidia drivers package to
> run
> > a widescreen resolution
>

> I have no confidence that is true. I've never yet needed to install any
> proprietary driver regardless of hardware for a single head system to run
> common resolution display.

the problem is that 1366x768 is a widescreen resolution is a vesa+
resolution. i don't know if vesa+ are supported by normal drivers. for
example on my laptop 1280x800 i cannot use the wxga resolution on livecds by
any means, because they require the ati driver which usually doesn't ship
with them.

> (livecds usually don't include proprietary drivers).
>

> True, but likely irrelevant.

it's not irrelevant if the mode is not supported by the livecd.

> it also seems to have an old server (7.1, while the latest is 7.3 and 7.4
> is
> > to be released soon), the nvidia drivers also seem quite old. also with
> that
>

> Older than last summer is often exactly the ticket, as the overhaul of
> xorg
> drivers that began then broke plenty of things that used to work.
>
> When things are as troublesome as has been for the OP, think, and do,
> outside
> the box for possible solutions. 1366x768 has been around quite some time
> now,
> 3 years at least. It shouldn't have taken so long for someone to make it
> work
> for the first time only within the past few weeks.

well, on my hw is the contrary. the things work better and better as the
time passes.

--
dott. ing. beso