Getting widescreen resolution on my widescreen LCD tv

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 14:30:05 PDT 2008

2008/4/16, Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net>:

> On 2008/04/16 13:18 (GMT-0500) Arthur Pemberton apparently typed:
>

> > All suggestions, save for getting another card, have failed.
>
> > I have tried several combinations, here is the last attempt I made
> > along with the associated log, the tv throws me to 1024x768 on that
> > last attempt. Other attempts throught me to either 1280x768 or "NO
> > SUPPORT"
>
> > http://pembo13.com/pub/Xorg.0.log.1360
> > http://pembo13.com/pub/xorg.conf.1360
>
> > So I am currently in 1024x768
>

> Try burning a Knoppix DVD or CD, or a live CD of some other distro like
> SUSE,
> Mandriva or Ubuntu, and boot it to see if it does better than CentOS5.
> --

this (live cds) won't work since he needs the nvidia drivers package to run
a widescreen resolution (livecds usually don't include proprietary drivers).
it also seems to have an old server (7.1, while the latest is 7.3 and 7.4 is
to be released soon), the nvidia drivers also seem quite old. also with that
xorg.conf it won't work unless with vesa modes (1024x768). Now, forst of all
you should upgrade xorg, xorg-server and nvidia drivers to the latest
available for your distro, or upgrade distro version, then set up the
xorg.conf where the relevant sections in xorg.conf should be like this:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	ModelName    "LCD Panel"
	UseModes     "Modes[0]"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Modes"
        Identifier "Modes[0]"
        Modeline "1360x768 at 60" 84.50 1360 1392 1712 1744 768 783 791 807
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1366x768" #maybe this needs to be "1366x768 at 60", but i'm
not sure. try one or the other.
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier    "single head configuration"
	Screen        "Screen0"
	InputDevice   "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
#where's the mouse? does it works? it should have a line similar to
the keyboard one.
EndSection

so, recap: update xorg, xorg-server and nvidia drivers, set up the right
xorg.conf and retry.

--
dott. ing. beso