Getting widescreen resolution on my widescreen LCD tv

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 11:18:28 PDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 3:41 AM, Beso <givemesugarr at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/4/15, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com>:
>

> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:47 AM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Maxtent  26" HD-Ready LCD TV which is 16:9 and rated for up
> > >  to 1280x1024 despite my best efforts I have been unable to get a
> > >  working widescreen res with Xorg (updated) on Centos5
> > >
> > >  The machine in question is an Optiplex GX270, I have tried the i810
> > >  driver with the integrated intel vga without success, through my
> > >  research I found that the particular chipset I had simply couldn't
> > >  support widescreen (I tried this for about 4-5 hrs) I settled on
> > >  800x600 after exhausting all my efforts it worked, but the aspect
> > >  ratio was off
> > >
> > >  So I bought an AGP GeForce FX 5200 so that I could get to those higher
> > >  resolutions. http://www.maxentusa.com/uploads/files/191.pdf shows the
> > >  resolutions that the tv supports. I eventually for 1280x1024 to work
> > >  with the nv driver, but mythtvfrontend (the main reason I have Xorg
> > >  installed for) showed in what seemd like 8bit colors, just black red
> > >  and green, unuseable. And the fonts were too small. It took me several
> > >  hours just to get 1280x1024 to work, and I am kinda exhausted with
> > >  trying.
> > >
> > >  What I am aiming for is 1366 x 768 at 60Hz. Even at 1024x768, running
> > >  myfrontend seemed to crash fuxbox sending me back to GDM. Also, at
> > >  1280x1024 the display seems like it would simply stop refreshing till
> > >  i soft reboot the machine (via ssh).
> > >
> > >  I would love to solve this problem finally. Please assist -- I will
> > >  provide info as requested.
> > >
> > >  Thank you,
> > >  Arthur Pemberton
> >

> > I haven't had any further luck with this problem.
>
> of course you haven't. if you search on the internet you'll see that this tv
> has a maximum rgb resolution of 1280x1024.
>  well, the following is the correct modeline to use for 1366x768 at 60Hz:
>
> Modeline "1360x768 at 60" 84.50 1360 1392 1712 1744 768 783 791 807
>

> the 1920x1080 at 60 isn't usable since you'll need to modify also the
> horizontal and vertical sync timing or the mode would break your tv.
>  you should add the modeline into the monitor section, remove all the other
> options in the monitor section (not the identifier and name). now this
> should work if your monitor is able to read the modeline. ifit still isn't
> able to read it then try this other modeline generated with gtf (ie. the
> nvidia modeline generator)
>  # 1368x768 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 47.70 kHz; pclk: 85.86 MHz
>  Modeline "1368x768_60.00" 85.86 1368 1440 1584 1800 768 769 772 795 -HSync
> +Vsync
> it should not work since it should be the one used by the board, but you'll
> never know. if this still doesn't work, then try connecting the monitor via
> dvi-d or s-video. if you need to buy another videoboard, then maybe you'll
> be better using only 1280x720 at 60Hz. this way you'll be able to still use a
> [...]

Sorry for the dupe, I didn't reply all the first time:
All suggestions, save for getting another card, have failed.

I have tried several combinations, here is the last attempt I made
along with the associated log, the tv throws me to 1024x768 on that
last attempt. Other attempts throught me to either 1280x768 or "NO
SUPPORT"

http://pembo13.com/pub/Xorg.0.log.1360
http://pembo13.com/pub/xorg.conf.1360

So I am currently in 1024x768