idea: screen-like utility for X11 / proxy server

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Apr 14 16:54:58 PDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:21:16PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I think xnest *might* do that.  Alternatively, you can use Xvnc, and
> > run your "actual" desktop behind that, with a "bare" Xserver running
> > the client on the physical VGA adapter, which is actually how the
> > original AT&T VNC guys used it.
>
> Xvnc will do it but that costs you a lot of desktop performance as VNC
> doesn't expose things like compositing hardware acceleration (or much
> acceleration at all) across the interface.

No... but it doesnt *do* the accelleration, either, since the frame
buffer is virtual.

So the question is: are you trying to get work done, or have a pretty
desktop?  :-)

> In theory disconnect/reconnect is a toolkit problem, but toolkits that
> support it are a bit lacking. A pity really because another natural use
> for this is virtualisation - moving your desktop virtual machine between
> your desktop and laptop and other machines when travelling or switching
> office.

Is it, though?  The people who note that the X architecture natively
stores lots of stuff in the server, and that this makes it
theoretically difficult to define how this should be done, rather than
merely hard, may have something...

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.