2,3,4bpp modes and e-ink

Mikhail Gusarov dottedmag at dottedmag.net
Mon Apr 14 11:17:41 PDT 2008

Hi,

I just stumbled upon bug #1245 "[TRACKER] fb module cleanup" - what is
the proper way to support devices with low bpp, such as e-ink devices,
nowadays?

I'm not sure how does it work for us now (in OpenInkpot project) - we
just built fb which says "8 bits per pixel, 2bpp" pointed Xfbdev on it
and it worked.

However, this is only stoggap, as this solution wastes ~3mb of memory,
which is ~10% of memory on devices we're running on.

Should we ressurect some of the older fb implementation and target it
especially to low bpp / grayscale, or add direct support of packed
pixels to the one of fb implementations which are supposed to survive?