Intel 945GM Display wont come out of suspend.

Steven J Newbury steve at snewbury.org.uk
Sun Apr 13 15:52:27 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 20:20 +1200, Mike Russell wrote:
> Hi
>
> The Intel 945GM on my laptop will suspend ok but coming out of suspend
> the display does not power back up (blank screen with no backlight).
> Swithcing to a console powers up the display but to just a blank
> screen.  Switching back to X everything displays fine, but from then
> on switching to a console just gives a black screen.
>
> I am using the Debian package   xserver-xorg-video-intel
> 2:2.2.99.902-1
>
> The previous few versions of the driver have been the same, last time
> I remember suspend working was back in the 1.x intel drivers.
>
> I have the following options in xorg.conf.
>
>         Driver          "intel"
>         Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
>         Option      "AccelMethod" "XAA"
>         Option          "DRI"     "true"
>         BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
>

> I can post any more information needed.
Hi Mike, it's common for many machines not to re-initialise the video
hardware when comming out of suspend.  The "hal-info" package contains
the required quirks to bring back up many machines.  Make sure you have
it installed along with vbetool (which hal uses to restore the video
state/re-POST the card).  On my machine the relevent files are stored in
"/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/", "/etc/hal/fdi/" can be
used as an override if your machine isn't yet in the distributed
package.  In that case it would be worth informing upstream of the
quirks needed for your machine.