Q re /usr/share/hwdata files

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 3 10:52:26 PDT 2008

Greetings;

Uptodate F8 system here, on 32 bit x86 hardware.  Using a visiontek 2400HD
card, 700 mhz overclocked version.

I note, in mucking around in the yumex database, that there is no
radeonhd.xinf file in xorg-x11-drv-ati or in  xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd.

Would it be to the users advantage to generate this file, and if so, how do I
do it in a more universally usable format than just duping the info from this
card into a file so named?

I'm attempting to see if I can figure out how to restore my tty1 console when
I exit x.  As it is, the video totally stops and the monitor shuts down when
I exit x now.  No consoles are available of the 6 default ones. The only
action I tried so far is to blindly type reboot, or the vulcan nerve pinch on
ctl-alt-del.  It may be possible to re-'startx', and I will try that the next
time I reboot.

Also, is it safe to run /usr/bin/rhd_conntest when x is running?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)