having an xorg not binded to a virtual terminal?

Steven J Newbury steve at snewbury.org.uk
Wed Apr 2 17:06:46 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 00:38 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Tiago Vignatti, le Wed 02 Apr 2008 13:57:14 -0300, a écrit :
> > Christophe Lohr escreveu:
> > > Hi,
> > >   Is it possible to run an xorg server not binded to a virtual terminal?
> > >
> > > I would like to have a secondary xorg to manage a secondary videocard
> > > (with an empty input device), without interaction with the guy that sits
> > > in front of the PC console (primary videocard, keybord, mouse) and mays
> > > switch between virtual terminals, starts and stops the normal X session
> > > (on the primary xorg), etc.
> > >
> > > Is it feasable?
> > >

> > Probably you can set up a simple dual-head and don't need to rely in two
> > instances of Xorg.
>
> But then when the user switches to text mode, the other screen will go
> blank, which is not what he wants.
>
> > Could you please describe better what you intend to do
>
> I think he basically wants xorg to not talk with linux' console
> management _at all_ and just always display its content on the second
> monitor.
This could be very useful for multi-seat generally.  The currently used
methods for multiple displays driving seperate video cards, keyboards
etc are cludges at best.  The ideal solution would be if
multi-seat/multi-display was supported from the kernel (above or within
the console system) up - gallium might help there eventually.