Another ati/radeonhd problem?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Apr 1 15:50:18 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 01 April 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings;
>
>One of the applications I've fallen in love with is tvtime which works with
> my pcHDTV3000 card quite nicely if I'm running the nvidia drivers on an
> nvidia card.
>
>But I couldn't seem to make it work even after I had recovered the files so
> I had yum install it again, no dice.  Running it from a shell gives this
> failure message:
>
>[root at coyote src]# tvtime
>Running tvtime 1.0.1.
>Reading configuration from /etc/tvtime/tvtime.xml
>Reading configuration from /root/.tvtime/tvtime.xml
>xvoutput: No XVIDEO port found which supports YUY2 images.
>
>*** tvtime requires hardware YUY2 overlay support from your video card
>*** driver.  If you are using an older NVIDIA card (TNT2), then
>*** this capability is only available with their binary drivers.
>*** For some ATI cards, this feature may be found in the experimental
>*** GATOS drivers: http://gatos.souceforge.net/
>*** If unsure, please check with your distribution to see if your
>*** X driver supports hardware overlay surfaces.
>
>Is this hopeless?
>
>Is there another tv viewer application that will work with the radeonhd
>driver?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Humm, I've just followed a link to an ati driver that supposedly supports
> this card for linux.  Has anyone any brickbats to throw at it other than
> its closed src?  Its about 51 megabytes I've just dl'd.  I'll test it and
> see if I need some rocks to wrap my ransom notes around, later folks.

PS: I might also toss out here that all this mucking about with the radeonhd
driver, I find that I cannot just log back out of x while using it, the
screen goes blank and powers down from lack of drive.  But a keyboard applied
ctl-alt-del reboots it just fine.  This isn't terribly nice of this driver as
I don't believe the vesa driver behaves this way.  Anyway, I'm off to reboot
and try their driver, bbl.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)