intel driver: playing video with totem: bad quality, causes lockup at next switch to VT

Willi Mann foss-ml at wm1.at
Sat Sep 15 08:39:44 PDT 2007

> That happened to me, too. But I use KDE and the xine engine to watch videos. I
> switched the "video driver" in the xine options from xv to opengl and the
> color issue is corrected.

The package I use is totem-xine...

> I don't know the cause of this behaviour, but that trick worked to me.
>
> ( I have an Intel915GM with the 1.x driver, the version which come with Debian
> Etch).

Have you tested other video players?

I have just tried mplayer and vlc, and both work with xv - but only for
the first video. When I start one of them again, the whole system
freezes (after maybe 1 second of playing), with attached backtraces
logged. They work without problems when I select x11 or (open)gl.

Willi

Please CC: me on replies.