Resizing child windows

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 08:20:25 PDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 07:58:49AM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> the window hierarchy is irrelevant. it's the widget hierarchy that
> counts. a widget may or may not map to a window. widget != window.

Yeah, I don't think I asked the question very clearly, but think I
got the idea anway.

Even though window != widget, I was making the assumption that all
(or at least most) widgets are implemented around an X11 Window (or
at least Drawable).  So with that (incorrect) assumption in mind, I
was trying to figure out if every single widget (and window by
implication) needed to be tied to xevents.

So I think now the better way to look at this is to have generally
only one "thing" (widget or some other construct) that can catch X
events (at least dealing with resize), and from there dispatch
instructions (or at least hints) to all other widgets in the
collection.  How the "thing" communicates with the other widgets is
a matter of implementation detail (and not necessarily dependant on
X11).

If you can make sense of what I wrote... does that sound more
accurate?

Thanks again,
Matt