RandR 1.2 output name schemes?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Sep 4 01:02:58 PDT 2007

Alberto Milone wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 16:53 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> What would a ncurse based tool do to get the names when configuring X??
>> Would it not have to rely on guessing the output names? (or perhaps
>> falling back on standard names.....)
>>
>> Col
> Currently my application (written in Python and GTK) parses the output
> of xrandr (since I don't know C). This is why I wanted to know the
> output names schemes.

Yeah but by that logic, it doesn't matter what they are called if you
/can/ parse the output of xrandr.... They could be called "wibble-1" and
it wouldn't matter as you'd just use it! But an ncurses or similar tool
wouldn't have that luxury unless it loaded up X to try, which could
conceivably be a problem.

I should point out that I'm speaking very figuratively and
hypothetically here, although we do have to write some stuff in Mandriva
to configure intel cards in this way, so it would help.....

Col