RandR 1.2 output name schemes?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Sep 3 10:17:38 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 17:24 +0200, Alberto Milone wrote:

> I see... having a consistent name scheme wouldn't be a bad idea though.

Actually, one thought was to place properties on each output that
described it in functional detail, like connector type, signalling
level, etc.

CONNECTOR_TYPE = { Unknown, Built-in, DB-15, HDMI, DVI-A, DVI-D, ... }
SIGNALLING_LEVEL = { Unknown, AnalogRGB, TMDS, LVDS, ... }

(there was a more concrete proposal put together a few weeks ago).

> Is there a wiki or something where I can see the name schemes which the
> ATI driver uses? (so that I can add the support for the ATI driver to my
> application)

The output names just need to be unique; we shouldn't insist on them
conforming to any specific schema.

Help with finishing the above proposal and getting it implemented would
be welcome; I kinda dropped the ball on pushing out RandR 1.3 when I got
side tracked with other things.

keith.packard at intel.com