[xorg-server] git HEAD build failure

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Sun Sep 2 18:17:37 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 14:53 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 23:18 +0200, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
> > The problem was a typo, but later more problems became apparent.
> >
> > I am unsure if this is the right way, because some of the things i
> > added back are in XSERVER_LIBS now, but at least this builds.
> >
> > I suggest this is reviewed by someone with significant knowledge of
> > autotools and friends.
>
> Yeah, Eric is trying to sort out dependencies so that the X server
> *does* get built when things change (it wasn't always getting built when
> needed).
>
> He claims to understand the linking process of automake/libtool now, but
> I'm doubtful that anyone can and remain sane enough to feed themselves.
>
> In any case, it should be fixed shortly.

I have not only managed to fix the Xorg server build, but also make
lunch today.  So there.

I'm not terribly happy with the current solution, though.  It seems
braindead to me that we have to manually handle link order issues (by
adding the same lib again afterwards).  The alternative I was playing
with last night was throwing all of Xorg's contents into a libtool lib
first, then linking Xorg out of that.  It seemed to work, except for
being a bit slow because it was archiving the whole mess twice.

--
Eric Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com