Glucose status/instructions request, (and notes on stale branches)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Oct 24 14:21:20 PDT 2007

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:17:28 -0400, David Reveman wrote:
> glitz_drawable_get_features should give you the list of GL features that
> glitz has detected and care about.

Thanks. I do notice that glucose is printing that into the log, but
not in a way that tells me anything:

	(II) intel(0): GLucose reports GLitz features as 0xf7df

>                                    GL_EXT_fbo is of course required for
> any accelerated offscreen drawing so you'll need that for any
> interesting apps to be accelerated.

Running "glxinfo | grep fbo" shows that I'm missing this on the i965,
(which is what I expected from recent discussion).

>                                     the xgl architecture also got some
> higher level controls for acceleration, e.g. allow acceleration if
> pixmap has been used for GLX requests, allow acceleration if pixmap has
> been used for XVideo requests, allow acceleration if pixmap dimensions
> are larger than a specified value... i'm not sure what glucose sets
> these controls to but they must also be set appropriately for any
> acceleration to take place.

What controls are they if I wanted to poke around in the code?

> it might be worth printing some of these values at startup so the user
> can tell what's accelerated and not.

Yes, anything that helps the user make sense of things would be
helpful. So far all I did was poke around in gdb a bit to see that
xglPrepareTarget is causing fallbacks by returning FALSE since
pPixmapPriv->target == xglPixmapTargetNo. But it wasn't immediately
obvious what would have to be changed for that to be different.

-Carl