Setting acceleration on individual mouse devices in Xorg 1.4?

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Oct 22 09:53:40 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 08:40:28AM -0700, Philip Langdale wrote:
> So, with the new input hotplugg architecture, it appears that devices are now
> listed differently. We have the 'virtual core pointer' and each plugged in
> mouse appears, at least to the 'xinput' utility, as a keyboard. Despite this
> oddity, it is at least possible to remap mouse buttons with xinput. But it
> is not possible to adjust mouse acceleration - I can only manipulate the
> virtual core pointer in this regard (with xset).

There are three distinct types: XExtensionKeyboard, XExtensionPointer,
and XExtensionDevice.  This comes off the input class, so it's probably
just the driver setting it incorrectly.

> Is there some other utility I should be using instead of xinput for this?

Hmm, it should be fine: you just need to use the device controls to
adjust the pointer feedback control.  The API is pretty terrible, but
it's at least possible, AIUI.

Cheers,
Daniel