1680 x 1050 with intel driver?

Louis E Garcia II louisg00 at bellsouth.net
Sun Oct 21 21:55:11 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 04:38 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 23:17 -0400, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
>
> > I finally got my 24" monitor though not the same brand, it is an LG.
> >
> > I am not able to configure this monitor with my laptop under linux as I
> > can with Windows. My laptop runs at 1280x800 and my new monitor at
> > 1920x1200. I am able to view one at a time in their native resolutions
> > but trying to bring up X with two different resolutions fails. Is this a
> > limitation of X or the intel driver?
> >
> > Second I would like to use my new monitor as an extension of my laptop
> > but all I can see is the same desktop on both screens. I have tried the
> > Xinerama option under ServerLayout but it freezes my who laptop.
>
> Configuring this at runtime, try something like:
> xrandr --output DVI --right-of LVDS
>
> (I'm assuming the output names are DVI for your external, and LVDS most
> likely be what the laptop's internal display is).
>
> For more information, and for how to set this up in your xorg.conf once
> you've found how you like it, take a look at this guide:
> http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html
>
> Peter Clifton

Thanks for the website. I have been able to get further along. This is
my current xorg.conf. X comes up with the proper modes on each monitor
but my desktop is on the VGA monitor and half on the LVDS. I would like
the desktop to be on the LVDS alone with the vga just empty where I can
drag windows on.

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "intel 945GM"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "monitor-LVDS"   "Laptop"
        Option      "monitor-VGA"    "VGA"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Laptop"
        Option       "PreferredMode" "1280x800"
        Option       "Position"      "0 0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "VGA"
        Option       "LeftOf"        "Laptop"
        Option       "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier   "Default Screen"
        Device       "intel 945GM"