VNC patch for Xserver 1.3

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Oct 18 03:50:11 PDT 2007

Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 09:35:59AM +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>>> I did something pretty similar, although I don't remember the exact
>>> process. Basically, I checked out xf4vnc at about the time xserver-1.4
>>> was released and ran cvsps on it. By looking at the logs, I was able
>>> to determine the approximate xserver commit this was at (265a633). I
>>> then diffed repeatedly, adding commits from xserver that were
>>> overlooked and removing a few minor changes like the configure
>>> defaults. Here's the patch I'm using:
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dnicholson/patches/xorg-server-1.4-vnc.patch
>>>
>>> It applies against 1.4, but I haven't done anything since 1.4 was
>>> released. I'm disabling dmx, too, which seems to have had quite a bit
>>> of work applied to it in xf4vnc. I don't use it, though.
>>>
>>> I should mention that I don't use libvnc.so, but just Xvnc. I'd be
>>> interested to see how it stacks up to the patch you generated, though.
>> Mine is here:
>> http://kenobi.mandriva.com/~colin/vnc.patch
>>
>> but as I said before it's missing lots of files for the libvnc.so bit.
>> I'd imagine Stefan's more complete than the xf4vnc stuff (unless Alan
>> has deliberatly removed the libvnc stuff (partially for some reason?)
>> and thus both our patches too.
>>
>> Stefan did you just migrate the patch we've both been using from
>> previous Xorg releases? It seems to be more complete in terms of the
>> libvnc files from what I can tell but haven't had much time to play yet
>> to update it (and there is little point if you've done it already :p)
>
> No, I didn't use a patch. I'm still testing by building the complete
> xf4vnc sources seperately.
>
> autoreconf -fi
> ./configure --prefix=/usr \
>             --disable-dependency-tracking \
>             --disable-static \
>             --with-rgb-path=%{_datadir}/X11/rgb \
>             --disable-lbx \
>             --disable-xevie \
>             --with-int10=stub \
>             --sysconfdir=/etc \
>             --libdir=%{_libdir} \
>             --mandir=%{_mandir} \
>             --enable-xdmcp \
>             --enable-xdm-auth-1 \
>             --disable-dri \
>             --enable-xorg \
>             --disable-dmx \
>             --disable-xnest \
>             --disable-xprint \
>             --disable-kbd_mode \
>             --enable-xcliplist \
>             --enable-vnc \
>             --disable-xvfb \
>             --disable-xorgcfg \
>             --with-log-dir="/var/log" \
>             --with-os-name="openSUSE" \
>             --with-os-vendor="SUSE LINUX" \
>             --with-fontdir="/usr/share/fonts" \
>             --with-xkb-path="/usr/share/X11/xkb" \
>             --with-xkb-output="/var/lib/xkb/compiled"

Ahhhh, d'oh. I forgot about that sorry!

I presume if you pass the arg:
 --enable-xorg-vnc

with that tree it fails the same way as my patched version does. I
should test that really....

I think the --enable-xorg-vnc flag must enable the hw/xfree86/vnc path
which is just broken as far as I can see (unless there shoudl be some
funky symlinks in there or something?

Col