Xorg Input Hotplugging

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Mon Oct 15 06:17:39 PDT 2007

On Oct 14, 07 23:59:37 -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> > After deleting my old InputDevice section (using
> > the kbd driver), I restarted xorg and found that my keyboard issues
> > continued. Looking through the manpage of the evdev driver produced that
> > most QWERTY keyboard users will need to pass "evBits," "keyBits", and
> > "Pass" options to the evdev driver.
>
> At this time, I'm afraid there's no way to pass configuration
> options to evdev through hal.  But I had no need to set any
> of these on the OLPC.
>
> The documentation you've read is probably outdated.  These days,
> evdev_drv 1.2 is pretty good at autodetecting these things
> directly from the /dev/input/eventX device.
>
> I believe we should strive to avoid hardcoding things such as
> the keyboard layout, repeat rate and in hal.  A simple solution
> would be to autoconfigure things with basic but mostly working
> defaults (pc105 us layout for the keyboard, medium mouse
> acceleration...).

This won't work. Without the right keyboard layout users won't be able
to log in. Ever tried to type your password on a French or Belgium
keyboard configured with an US layout? Or the other way round?

Even if you're only using letters, chances are high that you won't be
able to do so.

And, no, don't start that having a US keyboard layout as default is
sane. Go to any part of the world outside the US, and they will tell you
something. Yes, I'm using US, but I'm not exactly representative for my
country.

CU

Matthias

--