xserver can't find device specified for screen.

Jeff Chua jeff.chua.linux at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 17:32:56 PDT 2007

I've having trouble starting X with the recent git's xserver. It seems
to be caused by the commit below ... or is there a new option that
needed for the new xserver?

Thanks,
Jeff.

commit 8665cf3327b713f334b0483593a924c197f892f2
Author: David Nusinow <dnusinow at debian.org>
Date:   Tue Oct 9 22:45:15 2007 -0400

    Don't require that the screen explicitly attach the device section

    This will allow the screen to not explicitly have a device section. If
    this is the case and there is a device section in the xorg.conf, the first
    one will be used. If there is no device section at all, a default one will
    be created that loads the automatically determined module.

Here's the output of /usr/adm/Xorg.0.log ...

(==) ServerLayout "Simple Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen X60" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
(==) No device specified for screen "Screen X60".
        Using the first device section listed.
(**) |   |-->Device "Device X60"

I've only one section for "Screen" and one for "Device", but it looks
it's skipping even the known one.

Part of my xorg.conf ...

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Simple Layout"
        Screen          "Screen X60"
        InputDevice     "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice     "USB Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Device X60"
        VendorName      "IBM X60"
        Driver          "intel"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Monitor"
        HorizSync       30-83
        VertRefresh     56-76
        Option          "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Screen X60"
        Monitor         "Monitor"
        Device          "Device X60"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Subsection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1920x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
                ViewPort        0 0
        EndSubsection
EndSection