Question on Dual-Head/TwinView Configuration with intel/i810 driver

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Oct 4 14:14:14 PDT 2007

Rick Romero wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 20:07 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Rick Romero wrote:

>>> Also, while I may not need the reference on the right, I may want to
>>> 'keep an eye' on something that's running, while being able to move
>>> around freely on the left (email, opera, ssh, rdesktops)
>>>
>> I'm sure it's my own ignorance but I don't see how what you describe is
>> not possible with xrandr and a suitably advanced window manager?
>
> Do you have any suggestions for a suitably advanced window manager that
> would allow that functionality?
>
> It would need to divide the screens (vga1 and vga2) into individual
> desktops.  I assume the easiest is to replicate the entire desktop on
> each screen (like when X creates 0.1 and 0.2 you have ~/Desktop and
> ~/Desktop1).  Do any window managers currently do that?

In fairness no I don't!

I guess if you want a completely different Desktop folder then no, I
doubt anything based on Xinerama/xrandr can do that (I could easily be
wrong tho').

Aside from the files on the desktop tho', the scenario you describe with
having some windows on the right screen (e.g. Web browser or IRC client)
and some on the left (e.g. project files - perhaps an IDE like eclipse?)
then this is easily possible with xrandr/xinerama, it's just a matter of
putting your windows in the right place. If you use a WM like compiz or
an extension to metacity like devilspie or similar then you can (I
believe) force the different windows to display by default on screen 1
or 2, so open a new web browser and it'll always go to the right screen
by default (although nothing will stop you draggin it to the left screen
if you need it there for some reason.

I think I'm maybe missing your requirement somehow as I can't see why it
doesn't work the way you want it! I'm sure this is my misunderstanding!

Col