Xorg Input Hotplugging

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Nov 30 15:08:01 PST 2007

(add Zephaniah and Keith to cc)

Jürg Billeter wrote:

> I'm also missing the mouse driver option EmulateWheel with evdev/hal,
> any plans on that?

We at OLPC are planning to emulate the wheel using a specific
"grab" key on the keyboard that has to be held down while moving
a finger on the trackpad.

Actually, we may prefer doing it the Right Way this time.
That is, instead of faking button 4 and 5 presses, we could
add two new valuators for X and Y scrolling and teach the
GUI frameworks about these.

I've not yet put much thought into it, but it seems like
something that should be done at the evdev level.  The brave
one could try a driver independent implementation in xinput,
but, sorry, I don't feel confident enough with the guts of the
input layer to go there and perform major surgery of any kind.

--
 \___/
 |___|   Bernardo Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/