Xorg Input Hotplugging

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at nokia.com
Thu Nov 15 01:43:37 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 10:22:57AM +0100, ext Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le jeudi 15 novembre 2007 à 00:48 -0800, David Sharp a écrit :
> > Also, to quote Daniel Stone:
> > > Try adding Option "AllowEmptyInput" to the ServerFlags section.
>
> This results in a session with no input devices.

If they're not getting added, then your hotplug setup is broken.

> > Hope this was what you were looking for.
>
> Well, not really.
>
> 1. I lost buttons 6 and 7 of my mouse. Somehow the system (xev) now
> thinks I have a device with buttons 1 2 3 4 5 8 9
>
> How do I tell
> Option      "Buttons" "7"
>
> in the brave new hotplug world?

I don't have a good answer here: evdev should detect and work
automatically.

> 2. I lost the keyboard multimedia key. Driver "evdev" resulted in
> correct XF86Foo in my old setup now it's munged as if it passed trough
> ps/2 driver. lshal seems to want to apply a layout to this part even if
> it's clearly not a general-purpose keyboard.

Sounds like your desktop environment (e.g. GNOME) is kicking the layout
back to pc105 instead of evdev.  You'll need to fix that in its
preferences.

> 3. How do I tell xorg to consider hal-configured device foo instead of
> fallbacking systematically to the /dev/input/mice multiplexer ?

Option "AllowEmptyInput".

> Etc.
>
> I don't need the broad rules I found them myself. I need someone who
> understands this stuff post examples of conversions of complex setups
> like mine. Because the current examples are so basic there's no way to
> deduce from them the new syntax for:
>
> > > Section "InputDevice"
> > >         Identifier  "nek4k-base"
> > >         Driver      "evdev"
> > >         Option      "Protocol" "evdev"
> > >         Option      "vendor" "1118"
> > >         Option      "product" "219"
> > >         Option      "Phys" "*/input0"
> > >         Option      "XkbModel" "evdev"
> > >         Option      "XkbLayout" "fr,ru"
> > >         Option      "XkbVariant" "oss,winkeys"
> > >         Option      "XkbOptions"
> > > "grp:lwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:rwin"
> > > EndSection

<match key="usb.vendor_id" int="1118">
  <match key="usb.product_id" int="219">
    <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">fr,ru</merge>
    <merge key="input.xkb.options" type="string">grp:lwin_toggle,grl_led:scroll,compose:rwin</merge>
  </match>
</match>

I'm not sure how to match on the phys.

> > > Section "InputDevice"
> > >         Identifier  "track-expl"
> > >         Driver      "evdev"
> > >         Option      "Protocol" "evdev"
> > >         Option      "vendor" "1118"
> > >         Option      "product" "36"
> > >         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > >         Option      "Buttons" "7"
> > > EndSection

These don't yet have equivalents, but both shouldn't be necessary.

Cheers,
Daniel